Editor’s Note about Photo: Facebook Friend and donor mom Kathleen Wilkinson is one of the many moms who contributed their advice to this post. Thank you all!
We posted on Facebook asking our mamas for their best tips for nursing in public and we got some great responses. It’s not always the easiest thing to do (trust us, we’ve been there!) so here is some advice from our Facebook friends on how to prepare both physically and mentally.
- Wear a nursing tank under your shirt. When you pull the shirt up, pull the tank down and baby is feeding, everything is covered.
- For our more conservative mamas, try packing a shield or burp cloth. This will help make you feel more comfortable while still feeding baby.
- Many of our mamas agreed on this one- confidence is key! Feel good about the fact that you’re bonding and nurturing your baby and don’t worry about what others think.
- Smile! This will help you relax and boost confidence.
- One Facebook friend recommended practicing in front of a mirror. It may sound silly, but it helps you realize others aren’t seeing as much as you think they are.
If you’re still not comfortable breastfeeding in public, pumping before you go out is always a good option. In the end, nursing in public isn’t for everyone, and that’s okay too. We love hearing all of your advice and appreciate your support of this breastfeeding community. Be on the lookout for our next question and maybe your comment will be featured on our blog!